Acknowledgments

When Emilio, who instructed me on so many things, said that he would leave the publication of his autobiography to me as a "consolazione," his advice was: "Just deliver the latest set of diskettes to the publishers, and they will do the rest." Well, it wasn't that easy, especially for a perfectionist like me, but I must say that the staff I worked with at the University of California Press were much more than just efficient and friendly. None of them had known Emilio personally, and they only got acquainted with him through his manuscript. When, one after another, the editors told me, "Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down," I knew the book was in good hands. Thus, to UC Press Director Jim Clark, to editors Eileen McWilliam, Erika Büky, and Peter Dreyer, and to designer Barbara Jellow, I convey my most heartfelt thanks for their interest and dedication in making Emilio's last book what it is now. To Professor Robert W. Seidel for his conscientious doublechecking of the physics, my most profound gratitude. Last but not least, my deepest thanks to Professor Eugene Commins and his wife Ulla for their help and friendship (the saying "A friend in need is a friend indeed" comes to mind whenever I think of them), and to Professor Owen Chamberlain, whose spontaneous reply to my question, "How would you describe Emilio?" became the title of this book.

ROSA M. SEGRÈ
SUMMER 1992

مشخصات

آخرین مطالب این وبلاگ

آخرین ارسال ها

آخرین جستجو ها